Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Monday, July 14, 2014

Giving Service

This weekend has been super crazy. We packed and moved me out of our apartment on Friday night, still had packing and cleaning to do on Saturday, plus a wedding that we were DJ-ing, more packing and cleaning, church on Sunday, and I finally grabbed the last few things this morning and turned in our keys. It's been a long and exhausting weekend. 

When we got home last night, Kerry (Jayson's mom), Jayson, and I talked about why Christ worked so hard and did all the hard work and served as much as he could while He was here. Service is hard at times, especially when you're already so tired from doing your own day to day tasks for yourself. To get up and go help someone else after you've had a long day yourself takes so much physical and spiritual strength. But why did He do it? Because He loves us. He knows that if He does it, it makes us happy. And that makes/made it worth it to Him, regardless of how tired He may have been. Regardless of what he had to sacrifice to serve us, He did it.

There really is not much to say other than service makes us happy and that's why He did/does it. I wish the world was more willing to sacrifice so others could be happy. For me personally I'm always too quick to say no to service, and then I end up wishing that I would have been more courageous or more Christlike and had just said "yes." 

I went to the dollar store a few weeks ago and this woman in front of me at the register had about 40 or so graduation balloons. She apologized to be because she felt bad that they had to scan each and every balloon, plus all of her other items before it would be my turn. I told her not to worry about it. As she left she made a comment about how she hoped she could get all of the balloons to her car without them blowing away, so I promised her that if she started to float away like The Balloon Boy, then I would come help bring her back to Earth. We both giggled and she walked out of the store. As I was walking to my car, I could still see her walking to her car with all of the balloons blowing in the wind. I thought to myself  'I hope she can get them all into her car okay.' When I got to my car and unlocked my door, I looked up and the woman had parked infront of me. I looked at her for a moment and thought "maybe I should get out and help her... No.. that would be weird. Her windows are tinted and I don't want to walk up and scare her.." So I closed my door, started my car, and drove away. 

As I drove home I kept thinking that I should have gone and helped her. Who cares if it would have looked weird to have a stranger walk up to you and offer help? Who cares if she would have said no? What if Christ didn't serve people? Ever? Think how different our world would be..

Now all I can think about is how much I hope that she was able to get her balloons in her car without losing any, or if she was able to get them all out of her car okay when she got home. I regret not taking the chance to serve her. I wish I would have been more Christlike.. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment