Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving: Now and Then

Then...
I used to wake up feeling like it was Thanksgiving
Leaves outside would be golden brown..
Duke would be rolling in the leaf piles Erik and I made
Mom would be in the kitchen cooking
She would talk to the Turkey
(And even tricked me into believe that talking to it made it taste better)
Erik and I would play Nintendo 64
Then John and Leslie would come over
The boys would play video games
The girls would play Polly Pockets...

We'd fight over who would get to sit at the "grown up table"
Granny would come over first
She'd hug us all and kiss our cheeks
Saying "hi baby" to each of us..
Her honey baked ham would leave such a delicious smell...
Tara and Kenny would show up next
...bringing some sort of Tara's famous pies
Piper would help my mom and set up the punch bowl
Soon, Farmor and Farfar would be here
Along with Rick
And sometimes Lumina...but not always

Duke would sneak into the house somehow
And say hi to everyone...
But then he,d get in trouble and get kicked out again...

I miss the candles being lit on the table
I miss being the one to dim the lights
I miss the way my family cooked every dish
I miss those stupid pumpkin stickers my mom would put on the windows
I miss that tacky pumpkin tinsel she would wrap around the iron rod gates...
I miss the orange and yellow lights around the dining room window

~ ~ ~
Mom moved out
The holidays were different...
No decoration were put up again..
Thanksgiving was always at Tara's house now
It's fun..but not the same
I miss the way my mom celebrated the holidays
I miss her..
The old her....
I miss playing games with Erik all day
I miss feeling like it was Thanksgiving
I miss the way the light shined through my bedroom window
I miss the smell of turkey and candied yams
I miss coming downstairs to see my mom in the morning...
I miss seeing Erik climbing up the doorway in the kitchen...
I miss... Everything...

~ ~ ~
Now...

(Last year)
I got off of work
It's starting to snow/rain
Kerry is on her way to come pick us up
I race back home to our apartment to pack
Jayson just got home
I straighten up the kitchen and front room before packing
Jayson throws a few last minute things into the suit case
He moves all of our moving boxes away from the hall way so Cody can use the bathroom
Kyle brings Sam up to our apartment for the first time
"Aunt Ashley and Uncle Jayson live closer to Nephew Sam now"
Sam chooses a movie to watch on the drive up
Jayson is excited to see his nephew
I'm making sure Sam remembers to bring his coat with us
Kerry checks out our new apartment
Cody,Kyle,Jayson, and myself are so excited to see Sam
We drive to the airport to meet Curtis
(He was dropping off a rental car)
We drive up to Grandma Shana's and Grandpa Milton's
I realise that Jayson didn't grab the suitcase out of our apartment...
I didn't grab the suitcase out of our apartment...

We're an hour away from grandma's
We stop at Walmart
Sam helped aunt "Ashjery" pick out a Thanksgiving dinner outfit
But every shirt isn't an AuntAshley shirt...
..its a Cool Cody shirt..
We finally drive up to Grandma and Grandpa's
The whole family is there
From Curtis' side anyway

We unfolded 3-4 long tables for dinner
There are a ton of Anderson's.....
It's different from home
But it's good
Everyone gets along
Grandma cooks the best sweet potatoes.
We play games in the basement
Everyone has their own room
Clean up is finished
Black Friday begins
The boys go out
The girls stay home and play cards with grandma
Or supervise babies
Grandma has an entire cubbord of soda
I'm in heaven.

(This year)
Jayson and I have FHE tonight
Pack for Utah
Back to the cold again
Hoping for snow
One more time for that long car ride up to Logan, Utah
It will be different again..,but good
Full of the Spirit
Full of love and Appreciation
Nephews and cousins, young and old
Aunts and uncles,
Sister in laws and their husbands
Brother in laws that drive me nuts...
but I love them
More family that I haven't met yet
Future husbands to my cousins might be there this time?
I'm ready to hear the interrogations begin on that one
First time Black Friday shopping...
...heaven help me....

We won't forget our suitcase

Thanksgiving: Now and Then
It's different
But I still have many things to be thankful for

No comments:

Post a Comment